The Society has a variety of documents and artefacts in its archive. The purpose of this page is to share items in the collection with a wider audience.
Pictures and Postcards
This photograph was taken at Welsh Frankton in 1964 by Stuart Burton.
Photograph of the Newtown Canal & River Pumping Station. The handwriting on the back of the photograph reads: “Newtown Canal Pumping Plant viewed from across river Severn. The wheelrace tunnel can just be seen under the house. Steam engine house on right. The little cottage in background is on the roadway — Canal Road.”
The pumphouse was located at the eastern extremity of the houses in Llanllwchaiarn Road, Newtown. The two-bay building and the chimney were demolished in 1972. The machinery spanned many decades of pumping technology. A two-tier wooden weir provided a working head for a 22 ft diameter undershot waterwheel which operated two bucket pumps to raise river water 9 ft to canal level. Its pumping capacity was 80 locksful of water per 24 hours. (Source: Towpath Guide No. 4, Montgomeryshire Canal and the Llanymynech Branch of the Ellesmere Canal by John Horsley Denton).
This photograph is in the collection of C R S Egerton.
Chimney Repairs at Newtown Canal & River Pumping Station. The handwriting on the back of the photograph reads: “Boiler Plant chimney under repair. Mr Lindop Junior, wife and child at foot of stack. Right to left: workshops, the Pump House, the Boiler House.”
Mr Lindop Junior was Levi William Lindop (Billy Lindop) 1888-1954. He joined the Shropshire Union Company in June 1902 at Ellesmere Port, working as an apprentice fitter for a weekly wage of 4/-, rising to 13/- by the end of his apprenticeship. After completion of his apprenticeship in 1909, his wages rose to 15/-. In 1913 he joined the Royal Flying Corps as a mechanic and served in France, rising to the rank of sergeant-observer. He was discharged in 1916 due to deafness, and subsequently went back to the Shropshire Union Company, working as Engineer at the Newtown Canal & River Pumping Station.
This photograph is in the collection of C R S Egerton
The handwriting on the back of the postcard reads: "A great flood due to a “cloud burst” flooded the stream valley which went through a culvert normally. [It] swept over Canal Road and the end of terrace house and the pump house below. There was an engraving in the house wall marking the height of water gushing down into the river Severn."
This postcard is in the collection of C R S Egerton
Photograph album of a family cruise from Christleton to St Martins in 1939
Photograph album of the Montgomery Canal in the 1970s
Sketchbook of drawings by Alan R Yates
Journal of a trip on the Shropshire Union and Llangollen Canals in 1939
A sticker adverising what became known as the Welshpool Big Dig of 1969.
Share Certificate No. 946: Western Branch of the Montgomeryshire Canal Navigation
Signboard of the Society's erstwhile Montgomery Branch (formed 18th November 1969)
Advertisement feature placed in the County Times on 31st January 1971, describing the potential impact of the Welshpool bypass proposals
Brass plaque from the Society's May Day Rally in Market Drayton in 1983
Award certificate from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors for the Society's work on Newhouse Lock, completed in 2006
Award certificate from BW for the Society's volunteer work in 2008